Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Television Warnings

Here's another nanny state alert: goddamn motherfucking warnings before a television show and after commercials when the show resumes (I live in Canada). This pisses me off to no end. They put these on after every commercial break, and then they fucking read it to me. This... has to stop. Please... it's just irritating. Who makes these asinine rules? And who are they trying to protect?
"The following program contains nudity, sexuality, and course language. Viewer discretion is advised."
Studies have shown the children who witness the above warning message continue watching 100% of the time. That message attracts kids to TV like lint to my navel. The thing that bugs me the most is that waaaaay before these post-commercial warnings ever started popping up on the airwaves they had a little 'thingie' in the top corner of the show that said: PG, or 14A or whatever. Make up your mind; one or the other! Now there are two warnings!
Holyshithwhatthefuckbarbequeoverkill? Is that really necessary? The little 14A in the corner means something, and it isn't nearly as obtrusive, so there's no need to billboard my TV with a 30 second warning every time Family Guy breaks for commercial. I feel like someone from the CRTC is holding my hand while I watch TV... "Are you sure you want to watch this show?" Fuck you TV regulators. I want blood and violence and sex, if I didn't, then it wouldn't be on TV anyways. I watched Deliverance, every goddamn Rambo movie, and 2 girls 1 cup, damn you - I've seen it all.
Protect the children? Fuck you. I say we desensitize kids as soon as possible. Make them immune to blood and guts and sex, otherwise they end up being whimpering prudes; I guess in a society of pussies, they'll fit in.

No comments: