Monday, August 25, 2008

Bad Neighbours

Lakeview Terrace. It's got Samuel L. Jackson. Motherfucker. Maybe that last "motherfucker" wasn't necessary but then again, it's Samuel L. Jackson. Motherfucker.

Yeah. I guess Hollywood is out of ideas. Go watch the trailer right now.

No joke, it's about neighbours who don't get along. And they really don't get along. I just think it's a stupid idea to base a story around. I think the last movie I saw where the neighbours don't get along was Dennis the Menace; that really doesn't set a good precedent for paying 10 bucks to see a flick in the movie theater. I mean I like Samuel L. Jackson, because he's a badass motherfucker - but I think he should have stayed away from this one. He's going to be badass in this movie, but it's a little hard for me to take it seriously when the reason for all the badassery is that Jackson could be pissed about buddy's dog taking a dump on his lawn or something just as trivial.

When it comes to neighbours, they don't talk to me, and I don't talk to them. That's the way it should be. I live in an apartment building, which helps with the interaction because everyone in the building keeps to themselves. We usually keep it to: "Hey how ya doing?" and "Shitty weather lately." or a prehistoric grunt and a nod. Every once in a while you hear people bumping something upstairs or moving some furniture, but for the most part that's to be expected. I've had an apartment 'cohabitant' knock on my door only once in the last year that I've lived here. Not even to borrow some sugar or a power tool. Although I guess I did have a police officer bang on my door one evening looking for someone named Ray. I shrugged my shoulders and told him I didn't even know the first name of anyone in the building. Turns out Ray is the fella in the apartment next to mine. Who knew?

That's why I don't understand this whole bad neighbours thing. Unless your neighbour skins live cats at 3 am then you ought not have any issues. The less effort you put into your neighbourly relationship with the people who dwell around you - the less they will interact with you. What a magical equation! This just makes it even harder for me to believe the premise of Lakeview Terrace. Considering the houses that you see in the trailer, it surprises me that Jackson and his neighbour have time to fight amongst themselves given all their tennis practices and the busy schedule down at the yacht club - we're talking upscale Hollywood surbubia here, not a trailer park.

People always say that good fences make good neighbours, that might be true, but not giving a shit about your neighbours also works. Just ignore them, you'll have good neighbours.

No comments: